Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Leavin' on a jet plane...

Well, I'm just about ready to head off - again! I fly out to Argentina tomorrow (Wednesday) morning on the final stage of my big adventure; to climb Aconcagua which, at 6,960m, is not only the highest mountain in South America but the highest mountain in the world outside the Himalayas. Yikes!

I'm just about all packed & feeling very nervous. I'm also fighting a touch of a head cold & sore throat at the moment which isn't helping. This is going to be the hardest stage of my whole journey. We have a 3 day walk to base camp, during which hike we have the assistance of mules to carry our gear. But from base camp, we become the mules! It is an 'unsupported' expedition meaning that we have to carry loads of 20+kg between our camps on the mountain, erect tents, collect water and/or snow for melting, assist with cooking etc. My preparation has been far from ideal but 'it is what is is'. There is nothing I can do now other than stay healthy and (perhaps most importantly) stay positive.

Now if anyone is interested, you will be able to follow our expedition (hopefully) on a daily basis (technology & weather permitting). Our guide will be posting a dispatch daily here once the expedition starts on January 29. Alternatively go to the Adventure Consultants website here then select from the left hand column 'Expedition News' > 'Current trips' > 'Aconcagua 0809'. You can also sign up to be sent an email when a new dispatch is posted.

I will update my blog again once I get to Argentina. Nothing left to do now but hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride - bring it on :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe trip, Jen,

Look forward to reading your progress on a daily basis - go for it!!!

Catherine

Tesso said...

Happy travels Jen!