Saturday, January 17, 2009

Home sweet home

Well, I've been back home for about 9 days now & am slowly adjusting to the crazy weather here. I'm not sure what's worse; minus 47 in Canada or the (plus) 42 we experienced here in Penrith early during the week!

So I've finally pulled my finger out & started to think about putting some photos up here. There are a few to choose from ;-) I'll start with some photos from Nepal. It's very difficult to pick the best photos from 5 amazing weeks. So I'll start with photos from the start of the trip up to the time we summitted Mera Peak (6460m) and in the next two posts (which I'll do when I pull my finger out) I'll put more from the rest of the trip -

Coming into land at Lukla (2800m). After the tragedy which took place here about 24 hours after the photo was taken, this photo makes me sad now :-(


Luckily for me (though perhaps not for her) my tent buddy & good friend Ali is a physio -


The first time I saw Mera Peak. What I thought on seeing her for the first time can't be reproduced here...


Inquisitive kids -


The next few photos were taken at Base Camp (5000m):

The puja ceremony. Buddhists believe that the gods live in the mountains so a ceremony is held. Prayer flags are erected and offerings (food, flour etc) and prayers are made to the gods so that the gods will allow us safe passage on the mountain-





One of the effects of altitude is swelling of the face & hands. My hands were ok but my face got a wee bit puffy...


There is nothing like a Himalayan sunset -


After leaving Base Camp, we headed for our next camp at Mera La (5400m)-




Then it was off to high camp on a rather precarious rock shelf at 5,700m-



(the summit of Mera is the, um, small nipple-like pointy bit (LOL) directly above my left shoulder)





Summit day: we started at 2am and walked for about 6.5 hours uphill to the summit. Very hard work. I was counting my steps. I would take 30 steps then allow myself to stop to catch my breathe. Obviously I'm walking in this photo. When not walking, I could often be found doubled-over, leaning on my ice axe trying to suck in as much oxygen as I could


Almost there; the end is in sight!


Success!

Everest is the large peak to the right of the photo



I love this one. One of the guys in our group took it of me on the summit-


'Nuff photos for now. Part II of my Nepal photos will follow soon (hopefully before I leave for Argentina). Speaking of which, it's only 10 sleeps to go. I could get used to this international jetsetter lifestyle (I wish!)

No comments: