Saturday, September 13, 2008

Apinun from Port Moresby

Monday 1 September

Well I've made it safe & sound. Just a quick blog update - we have been told not to leave the hotel compound so I am stuck with the (high) prices they charge!

It's been a long day so far - the alarm went off at 2.45am this morning. I had been warned to be at check-in a full 3 hours before our 7.30am flight as Air Nuigini is renowned for overbooking its flights - so that a paid ticket is actually no guarantee of a seat! You can imagine my amusement when my folks & I arrived at the airport at 4:30am to discover that I was the first to check-in. I had to laugh when I finally got on the plane to discover it was half full! Thankfully I'm running on adrenaline and nervous energy right now ;-)

The weather in Port Moresby is slightly overcast & a balmy 33 degrees. Nice weather to lay by the pool - which I'm about to do - not so nice to be climbing mountains I suspect. But then again, the weather is just about the only thing I can't control so I'm not going to let it phase me. I'm still feeling rather nervous but I must admit to looking around our group at the airport on arrival in Port Moresby & thinking to myself 'man, I've got to be fitter than him' :-) Of course, I am carrying my own pack and most of the others aren't - so perhaps it's a bit too early to make that kind of call!

Must go. The pool awaits before a group briefing at 5pm, then dinner and an early night. Who am I kidding? I'll be up late packing, and re-packing, and re-packing my bag. Especially after our group leader asked me at the airport how much weight I was going to carry - and then raised an eyebrow when I said 12kgs (plus water).... (*gulp*)

Back in Port Moresby next Thursday afternoon / evening. As the late great Big Kev would have said - I'm excited :-)

No comments: