Thursday, April 16, 2009

We resume transmission (again)...

Opps. Sorry about the delay. Updating this blog has (clearly) slipped through my fingers recently. So as promised, many times, we are some photos from Egypt :-)

The view of the Great Pyramid at Giza from the balcony of my hotel room - yes, it was a tough start to the trip ;-)


The view of the Nile and surrounding agricultural land (and desert of course) from the air on the flight from Cairo to Abu Simbel-


Mum in front of the incredible temple at Abu Simbel-


Watching Abu Simbel at sunrise from the deck of our cruise boat on Lake Nasser as we started our 3 day cruise-


Cruising on the beautiful Lake Nasser - at 550km, it is the largest man made lake/dam in the world!


The top deck of our cruise ship - yes, it was a very tough 3 days ;-)


After Lake Nasser, it was time to start our 3 day cruise on the Nile-




I took soooo many photos of the various temples we visited. I won't bore you with all of them but these are two of my (many) favourites from the Kom Ombo temple-




Did I mention it was a tough life on the Nile cruise? ;-)


Back on dry land & it was time to head to the Valley of the Kings...


...where we visited the big* man himself-

* his mummy is housed in the tomb - and he is actually tiny!

Hands up who knew there was a female Pharaoh? We visited the magnificent mortuary temple of Hatshepsut herself-


Ma after bribing the security guard to meet Hatshepsut up close-


The magnificent temple at Karnak; photos of this place certainly do not do it justice!


A group of schoolgirls who asked to have their photo taken with me. Beautiful girls; bright, funny, inquisitive. But I also think the red hair, pale skin and exposed arms were a bit of a novelty-


The start of the Avenue of Sphinx in Cairo; when it was first built it stretched over 3kms through central Cairo-


Unfortunately photos of Egypt certainly do it not it (or its people, culture, music, dancing & incredible food) justice. If you haven't already been, do yourself a favour & go!

Up next (when I pull my finger out), Jordan which, incidentally, I loved even more than Egypt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

What can I say but magnificent!!! I am planning to go to Egypt and Jordan in September 2009 with my friend, Brenda. Shall have to hit the info. books well before I get there.

Catherine

Tesso said...

Thanks for the pics. If Abu Simbel isn't the most amazing thing ever I don't know what is. Now I want to go back there!

And I'm with you on Jordan, loved it loved it loved it :)