Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Heavy heart and lungs

I am writing this post with a heavy heart and heavy lungs. Heavy lungs because I am in Vienna airport and, quite literally, everyone is smoking. After 4 weeks in the Himalayas it is coming as a rude shock to my lungs. And a heavy heart for two reasons - the night before I left Nepal, we recieved the shocking news that one of the guys who joined us for Mera Peak suffered a stroke shortly after his return to Oz and is currently in a coma. My thoughts are with you Grant - get better soon mate. I also have a heavy heart after saying goodbye to my beloved Nepal. I joked to someone yesterday that I must have been Nepali in a previous life. Apart from home, there is nowhere in the world that I am sadder to leave.

Am now 22 hours into my journey to Cairo. Will be sure to post more about Nepal shortl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny. I always tell people I was a sherpa in a previous life!

I too love Nepal and look forward to returning soon.

Enjoy Cairo. I visited there (and Jordan) a few years ago and loved it - very different from the Himalayas!

Make sure you visit the Egyprian Museum in Cairo. Find a good guide to show you the highlights and then enjoy some time wandering around the thousands of treasures on your own.

My Lonely Planet Middle East Guide book says that if you spend 1 minute in front of every exhibit in the Egyptian museum it would take you more than 9 months to see everything.

Way cool.

Cheri

Anonymous said...

I sooo much need to get back to Nepal - so special as a country and as a people.

Safe travels in Egypt, Jen

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and also sending thoughts to your trekking friend and his family.